Our Church History
First Presbyterian Church of Foley’s roots reach back to Oct. 7, 1923, when it was originally organized by 26 charter members. Space for organizational meetings was provided at that time by Foley First Baptist Church.
A building fund was established. Members, people in the community and other Presbyterian churches in the county made contributions. Some donations were as small as $1.
Rachael Knoll is our new Regional Presbyter serving both Presbytery of South Alabama and the Presbytery of Mississippi. Rachael works with pastors and churches to encourage and support the ministries of both presbyteries.
Before a church building was constructed, worship services were held in a rented space on the second floor of a building on the corner of Laurel Avenue (U.S. Highway 98) and South Cypress Street.
In 1930, the church moved to the second floor of the Masonic Hall, located on Alston Street.
IN 1940, PLANS were initiated to build a church. The building was completed in 1942. It was located at the corner of Alston Street and Violet Avenue on land donated by a local benefactor.
The first service in the building was held on Jan. 17, 1943.
A two-story annex was added in 1947 and completed in stages. The upper floor was partially finished in 1947 and totally completed in 1962. The lower floor, which provided additional classrooms and a fellowship hall, was finished in 1953.
In 1982, the sanctuary of the church was enlarged and the entrance of the building, which had opened onto Alston Street, was changed to open onto Violet Avenue. The brick building is still at that location.
BY THE MID-1990S, the church membership had outgrown that building and there was no room for expansion. Property at the corner of McKenzie Street (Alabama Highway 59) and Berry Avenue was purchased as the church site.
The new church building, with a white-brick exterior, was dedicated on Feb. 19, 1997.
The building provides approximately 14,500 square feet of space, with a seating capacity of 400 people. The worship area and fellowship hall share space until a sanctuary can be built. The educational and administrative wings were designed to allow modular additions to accommodate future growth.
DURING ITS HISTORY, the church has had 16 pastors, two associate pastors and four interim pastors.
For many years, the pastor served not only Foley but also congregations in the Miflin community on the outskirts of Foley (Swift), in the town of Loxley and in the beach communities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.
TODAY, OUR PASTOR is the Rev. Jonathan Wallace, who delivered his first sermon here in August 2014.